Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day

I wonder how many Americans think of D-Day, not just when reminded of it on the news, but in the days leading up to it: bringing it to mind, considering its great place in American and world history, and giving a silent thanks to the American military personnel who fought to free Europe of totalitarianism and to defeat the Nazis.

I also wonder how many people in western Europe think of it, since D-Day represented the beginning of the end of the war and Nazi occupation in Europe, and without the colossal effort by America to wage two enormous wars simultaneously during World War II, one against Japan who attacked America and one against Germany who hadn't, Europeans would have lived for many years, and might still be living, under totalitarian regimes.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of it --- watched Roosevelt's speech yesterday and had Ty, my 4 year old, watch w me.

    ReplyDelete