Saturday, October 17, 2009

Three Cheers for Thomas Friedman

You will rarely hear me say good things about the columnists in the New York Times, but Thomas Friedman's column on what Barack Obama should do with winning the Nobel Peace Prize is truly outstanding.

The premise of the column is that Obama should state, when giving his acceptance speech, that he cannot accept the prize on behalf of himself. Instead, he accept it on behalf of the greatest peacekeepers in the world for the past 100 years - the U.S. military. Friedman writes what he thinks Obama's acceptance speech should say, with this key quote:

"Let me begin by thanking the Nobel committee for awarding me this prize, the highest award to which any statesman can aspire. As I said on the day it was announced, 'I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize.' Therefore, upon reflection, I cannot accept this award on my behalf at all.

But I will accept it on behalf of the most important peacekeepers in the world for the last century - the men and women of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corp."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment